Mendip Hospital, Wells. (Formerly the Somerset and Bath Pauper Lunatic Asylum)
Originally opened as the county asylum for pauper lunatics in 1848, it alone served the county and the city of Bath until the opening of the Western Joint Asylum (Tone Vale) in 1897.
For papers relating to the acquisition of the site, building and early administration of the asylum see also Q\ALu.
For photographs etc., of Mendip Hospital (originally Wells Asylum) and of the staff and patients of social activities - c1848-1977. See DD/X/JENS G/1619, G/1666 (incls. aerial views of hospital, c1950.)
Report on condition of asylum, (betw.1891-94) See C\Po/1/7/3.
See also DD\WM/74-78 for further records of Mendip Hospital, -1930.