Repository
  • Somerset Heritage Centre
Reference number
  • A\CWO
Description
  • The Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway came into existence on 1 November 1875, after the Somerset and Dorset Railway ran into financial difficulties, being run jointly by the Midland Railway and the London South Western Railway Companies, and after 1 Jan 1923 ownership passed to the London Midland Railway and the Southern Railway Companies. The line ran from Bath Queen Square (later Bath Green Park) to Bournemouth West, Dorset, with a branch line from Highbridge to Evercreech Junction. From 1951 branches of the railway began to close and on 7 Mar 1966 the whole line was finally closed to rail traffic. Organisation of Collection: A\CWO/1 Railway Acts A\CWO/2 Business records of the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway A\CWO/3 Land and property records A\CWO/4 Records of locomotives A\CWO/5 Plans and diagrams A\CWO/6 Bridges A\CWO/7 Accident reports A\CWO/8 Correspondence A\CWO/9 Specifications A\CWO/10 Railway personnel records A\CWO/11 Closure of Somerset and Dorset Joint Line A\CWO/12 Notices and instructions A\CWO/13 Timetables A\CWO/14 Tickets A\CWO/15 Labels and consignment notes A\CWO/16 Photographs A\CWO/17 Newspapers and publications A\CWO/18 Digitised records A\CWO/19 Oral histories A\CWO/20 Miscellaneous A\CWO/21 Records of the Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust A\CWO/22 Records of the Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust Museum, Washford Station A\CWO/23 Records of past members of the Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust A\CWO/24 Photographic collections of members of the Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust
Date
  • 1845-2017
Extent
  • 83 boxes, 8 portfolios
Access status
  • Mixed
Level
  • Collection
Related material
  • See also A\DZS/1 for an index of signal instructions for the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway (compiled by C.J.L. Osment).