In 1615 Richard Huish, a native of Taunton, made his will and, amongst other bequests, left lands to support a hospital or almshouse for old men in the town and to found scholarships at the Universities for students of Divinity. Following the Endowed Schools Act of 1869 it was proposed that the Charity's surplus revenue, amounting to £250 a year, should be used for the establishment of new schools in the town. These would provide an education higher than that of the National Schools but less ambitious than that of the classical or collegiate schools. There had been, from 1872, a 'Middle-Class' school in the old grammar school building (now the Municipal Buildings, Corporation Street) under the Headmastership of the Rev. Thomas Randell and, in 1875, this school was endowed with part of the Charity's surplus funds as well as assisting a girls' school in the Crescent (founded as Huish's School for Girls in 1875 and renamed Bishop Fox's School for Girls in 1890). The Boys' School moved to a new site in East Street in 1881, and into new buildings on that site in 1892 where it remained until 1964. It then moved to the present site of Richard Huish College in South Road. With the introduction of the comprehensive system the Boys Grammar School became a 6th Form College in 1980, taking students of both sexes between the ages of 16 and 19 years.