Repository
  • Somerset Heritage Centre
Reference number
  • A/AFE/2
Description
  • A deed of 1794 also relates to 6 other messuages and 3 houses in Axbridge, c. 2a. in Cheddar and c. 2a. in Charles or Cross Moor, Compton Bishop. A deed of 1818 also involves c. 65a. in Uphill including the Dolphin Inn, and Uphill Castle and 12 allotments in Axbridge on Axbridge Hill. One of the allotments is described as a 'ball court' [2/13]. In 1793 Betty Payne of Axbridge, widow, leased 9 messuages, c. 2a. in Cheddar and c. 2a. in Compton Bishop for 1,000 years from the Mayor and burgesses of Axbridge [tenants named]. In 1794 she assigned the lease to her son Simon Payne of Axbridge [2/1]. Payned conveyed Castle Garden and a house in Horne's Lane, Axbridge, to Henry Symons of Axbridge in 1814 [2/6]. In 1864 Symons conveyed the premises, a house in Cheddar, c. 2a. in Compton Bishop, and 10a. in Lympsham, to his son-in-law Dr Jeune, Dean of Lincoln [2/20]. Later that year Jeune, now bishop of Peterborough elect, assigned the house in Horne's Lane and Castle Garden to George Millard of Axbridge [2/22]. The trustees to Millard's will sold the house in Horne's Lane and Castle Garden to Isaac Smith in 1872. Smith assigned the property to Charles Webster of Axbridge in 1874 [2/24]. [Endorsement dated 1927 states that Castle Gardens have been assigned to Henry R Day.]
Date
  • 1776-1874
Extent
  • 24
Format
  • documents
Access status
  • Open
Level
  • Item