The Knyfton family can be traced back to c.1700 in Uphill. By the nineteenth century their principal residence was Uphill Castle, (built c.1805), which was purchased in 1835 by Thomas Tutton Knyfton (1798-1887). The family name became Graves-Knyfton in 1895 under the terms of the will of Thomas Tutton Knyfton. [See A\AEH/19/9 for a pedigree of the family.]
This collection chiefly reflects the family's land acquisitions, especially in the parishes of Uphill, Wedmore, Westbury-sub-Mendip, Bleadon and Milverton, and includes settlements of the family estates, rentals and accounts, predominantly for the eighteenth to twentieth centuries.
See also DD\X\WBB/18 for a map of Uphill, 1815, relating to this collection.