Repository
  • B&NES Record Office
Reference number
  • 0491
Description
  • Formed in Apr 1858 as an alternative to the existing Clubs in Bath (the York Club at York House and New Club at Edgar Buildings) principally by two men; H. B. Ricardo and Dr B. W. Falconer. The York Club unanimously amalgamated immediately and the Bath and County Club opened around Sep 1858 at No. 21 Queen Square. In the 1870s they Club extended to No. 22 as well. Although proposed in 1925, women were not allowed in the Club until 1935, and mixed membership is accepted today. The Club moved to their present premises behind Queen Street, facing Queen's Parade in 1979. See also collection 69.
Date
  • 1818-1984
Extent
  • 12 boxes
Access status
  • Open
Level
  • Collection